Samuel van der Swaagh

04/04/13

EoW Response to Brene Brown’s TED Talk on Vulnerability

Brene Brown delivers a compelling story of vulnerability. We are social beings that have numbed our feelings of vulnerability and have tried and pretended to create a world of perfection, certainty and perhaps fake joy. This TED Talk reminds me of Jesus’ commandment “Love your neighbor as yourself” (only reminds me of, not necessarily theologically compatible). I believe that everyone is inclined to love themselves first before others. As humans, however, we struggle to translate that love for self to outward compassion because we feel that others will not see us with that same love. Consequently, we sometimes fear vulnerability and shame, and throw our hard self-expectations upon others. Thus, we begin to satisfy inward feelings of anxiety and hunger with all sorts of destructive distractions. It takes courage (i.e. a whole hearted sense of worthiness) to authentically connect and love others, which involves exposing oneself as imperfect yet worthy to be accepted. I fail to agree with Brown, however, on her belief that the key to joy is to accept the uncertain and the vulnerability of self. How shall I gain a peace if I am to fully embrace vulnerability? Who or what can I trust without reserve? Is it God? Is it other people who are also troubled by vulnerability? In my opinion, accepting the uncertain requires faith in an ideal, person or thing (i.e. something certain).

---

Submitted Version of 04/04/13:

TED Talk Response #2.docx