Immigration is a hot topic these days with the recent new Diasporas rushing into the U.S. While studying this phenomenon in light of Push/Pull and assimilation theories, people can often forget that the discussion is about humans. That is, immigration theories are good for scientifically analyzing social, political, or economic issues, but often distracts people from the fact that these theories are only attempts to objectively describe human behavior. On Sunday 24, 2013, at 9:00 A.M., I performed an interview with Marianna, a Ecuadorian immigrant, in order to gain a more personal perspective of these theories. The interview was conducted over phone, and the transcript is attached below. I believe my findings during this 30 minute interview can add insight to the ongoing debate of U.S. immigration and citizenship.

I began the interview by asking Marianna to describe the experiences and events that led her to finally gaining a U.S. citizenship. Marianna’s answer described the challenges that she faced while applying for residency:

“I had to go to this non-profit agency, [which could help me gain residency] to [inquire] about finding a doctor, lawyer, or sponsor. In 2001, when I was about to become a resident, 9/11 caused the agency to deny me residency and restart the paper work. I had to wait and apply and fight and go to court for three months, and sit in three hearings to face questioning. By then I had gain better English, which the judge appreciated. [The judge] appreciated my accomplishment and was [given amnesty] and residency. I had waited eight years [for the status of residency]. It was not easy.”  

From the very moment of crossing over to America in NYC, Marianna had difficulty both assimilating and acquiring a resident status. As a twenty year old on entering the country, Marianna was an unmarried “self-supporter” who had to navigate the legal systems on her own. After finding a nice community in the Bronx and fellowship at Neighborhood Church of Greenwich Village, Marianna’s friends helped her to fill out paper work. However, after the collapse of the Twin Towers, Marianna had to restart the application process, which she had prepared for during the past eight years by learning English. The barriers that prevented Marianna from fully integrating herself into NYC were a lack of English skills, initial networks, and citizenship. Despite these hardships, Marianna expressed a deep interest in obtaining citizenship throughout the whole experience.

Consequently, I asked Marianna how important it was for her to gain a U.S. citizenship. Marianna responded to the question by referring to the nuanced American Dream. Marianna communicated that she immigrated to America “Looking for the better opportunities [such as] better educations, liberty, and wealth, and [wanting to] live in the best city in the world. [Back home] we are fascinated by the movies and pictures of the City.” It is evident by Marianna’s answer that the pull factors alluring her to America were abstract. Marianna initially possessed great American fantasies of prosperity, great employment, and freedom. Although the Marianna was captivated by, possibly, delusional or romanticized stories of wealthy U.S. immigrants, the push factors were definitely tangible. Marianna was willing to endure imprisonment, exploitation by human smuggling, and nearly twenty years of vulnerability as a non-citizen (see attached transcript) in order to receive U.S. citizenship. That is, Marianna expressed adamant reluctance to return to Ecuador. Thus, the question arises: Did Marianna become disillusioned of her fantastical view after entering the U.S?

I decided to present Marianna with the question of what was her first impression of America. Marianna’s response was eloquent and concise: “[America] was beautiful and a [place where you could] accomplish your goals. But in order to have that, you have to work for it and [assert yourself].” Although slightly vague, Marianna realized as a non US citizen that becoming an American or obtaining prosperity was not a given. Marianna describes her illegal immigrant lifestyle as extremely busy and perhaps stressful. In addition to learning English from scratch at the age of twenty, Marianna had to work long shifts on both week days and weekends, while simultaneously attending college and church. Consequently, perhaps another factor that restrained Marianna from fully assimilating to America was her tight work/school/church schedule that drained her of energy. Despite this possibility, a positive factor aiding Marianna's assimilation process was that she never became severely economically deprived. As Marianna stated in the interview, “I am grateful for God’s provision. I never went hungry, but it did not come easy.” Marianna’s gratitude and the rewards of her hard work lifted her spirits through the tough time of being a non-citizen.

Lastly, as a closing question to the interview, I asked Marianna to describe what her U.S. citizenship, which she literally gained about a month ago, means to her. Marianna replied by saying that her American citizenship completes her perception of the American dream that allows her to freely travel the world and to converse with anyone in an office. Surprisingly, Marianna felt that she did not have the freedom to argue or speak freely in her workspace or banks without an American citizenship. Now that Marianna carries a legitimate American passport, she no longer fears people cheating or exploiting her. In fact, immediately after obtaining a U.S. citizenship, Marianna became bold enough to negotiate a financial exchange on the behalf of her brother-in-law, who does not possess legal documents. In addition, Marianna emphasized that her U.S. citizenship also provided benefits of higher wages, social security, insurance as worker, 26 days of holidays, and free weekends. Is U.S. citizenship a necessary key to assimilate into American culture, or is it merely a silly social construct?