As a visually impaired person from birth, I must constantly orient myself to new areas. In order to navigate myself through NYC, I often divide the City’s numerous subculture “pockets” into even smaller spaces. More specifically, for the longest time, my knowledge of NYC consisted of routes. Consequently, after immerging from the 28th St. stop on 7 Ave, which was a familiar area in terms of specific routes, I had no clue what I would experience when I would cross those boundaries initially outlined by my mobility teacher. I cannot deny that stepping over those “borders,” which defined my activity in this flower district place, produced a little anxiety. In addition to these feelings of uncertainty, I was not technically cleared by the New York Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped (CBVH) to diverge from certain routes. Nonetheless, these nervous feelings were override by a sense of curiosity and a hunger for exploration. I made the street crossing.

Instead of continuing east on 28th St., which is my usual routine, I walked south on 7th Ave along the south west side of the street. While scurring up the street I felt invisible despite being on "forbidden" grounds. Despite carrying a cane, which I rolled in front of me to identify myself as a visually impaired person, people seemed to not notice me unless I stopped somewhere to look arround. The area was similar to other midtown places that was familiar with. However, I only had to walk a block until I encountered a strangely remote street. On the north side of 27th St. I crossed over 7th Ave to an almost abandoned place enclosed by skyscrapers and a bridge. Immediately on passing under the bridge I was struck by a