Kimberly Escolastico 

Professor Hindman

Composition II

9/8/17

What do you already know and/or have you already studied about media representations? What are you most interested in investigating further? What is your experience and/or expertise with producing media yourself? 

Media representations has plenty to do with gender roles. Gender role is how society believes men and women should behave or look. In film women are seen as sex objects because of the body type they have, how pretty they are or by the revealing clothes they wear. These films have women with small noses, nice round eyes, full lips, a nice round butt, perky breast, and etc. However, sometimes is the total opposite if they do not have revealing clothes or a certain body type or look; they are seen as uptight and ugly. This creates a standard that most women follow or believe to be true. Most women in today society belittle themselves if they do not fit the criteria shown in films. Some women begin to think they are "ugly", "unattractive", and some begin to even hate themselves. Social media does not help women feel better about themselves. I would like to be informed more in the reasons behind stereotypes of women and men. I would like to learn more about how a man is seen in media. At some point because of these films I felt insecure because I did not fit the description. I began to purchase clothing that was more revealing. While I was trying so desperately to fit into the standard I was labeled and made fun of. It was good that happened to me because I changed the way I dressed and I have never felt more comfortable in my own skin.