At the end of each class's experience with their artist, they were asked to take a quick four question survey about their experiences with their artist-in-residence. Below are their responses:

Question 1: Explain one idea about art (or the practice of art) that you learned from your work with your artist:

• Your body is or can be used as an expression of an type of art.
  • dance can be a way to ease your mind and also is a way you communicate with your body
  • I learned that dance is simply art in motion. I learned that the human body can be used as a tool or an instrument to create art and if we view it as such, life can be far more rewarding.
  • I learned that if you close your eyes it can help you capture instructions more
  • It can be meditating.
  • I learned how to center myself and make myself very relaxed.
  • Art Is what you want to make it, a way of expressing yourself. Even your mistakes become apart of your masterpiece.
  • what I learn from this artist was that any body can do a great piece of art and if you put effort on what you are doing you would be proud of you work.
  • Good feedback and collaboration brings improvement and diversity in an individuals piece.
  • I learned that your first idea for a piece of art might not turn out the way that you expect it to.
  • I learned about the artwork in logo's that we see everyday, but never really think about.
  • Well I learned to look at art in many different way, and art can be made out of any thing.
  • It takes practice and failure to make art. It doesn't just happen
  • The idea I learned about art is that the little things can make amazing art
  • I learn to always put myself out there, without thinking about it too hard.
  • I learned that there is no right or wrong when it comes to art. To just do exactly what you feel without thinking about it because once you start thinking about it becomes edited versions of your thoughts and not your true emotions. The more raw the acting, the more amazing it will be.
  • During his improv classes we learned that no idea is wrong and everyone has a different idea of interpretation.
  • I have learned with acting or improv allows us to think on our toes ,while at the same time to be able to express ourselves freely. Acting is art as well as photography or dancing .Clay has taught us to be comfortable with ourselves .He also taught us that we set the tone of the atmosphere that we want to create around us.
  • I learned that with improv, you can't plan things, you just kinda have to go with the flow. There are no scripts or anything which was fun, you just kinda just be yourself. Puns are not needed.
  • Improve is literally off the top of your head, but it has to click. You have to agree with your partner and make them look good which makes you look good.
  • You actually do have to follow rules in improv, and it's harder than it looks. Also, you have to say "yes" to eveything that your partners are saying and doing so it makes you have to be more open to everything

Question 2: What was the most valuable part of working with a practicing NYC artist for you?

• Hearing his personal insights and anecdotes on how he got to where he was in his particular field (dance).
  • The most valuable part would have to be learning to do things that you never thought you could do.
  • learning how to relax the body and mind
  • The most valuable part of working with a practicing NYC artist was learning how to be ourselves and not given the normal curriculum
  • the most valuable part was being able to meet some who does something i enjoy too and learn more about it.
  • The most valuable part was being able to have hands-on time with the artist and have her critique my work. It made me more knowledgeable and more creative with my work.
  • she criticized my work and give me feed back.
  • Although we were in a typical class setting, we had a freedom of expression in making our self portraits.
  • knowing how they get their art noticed, how much they get paid, and how an artist lives
  • I was able to learn about what an artist does as not only a hobby, but a living.
  • Receiving feedback was the valuable part. To receive feedback from a professional was a great experience.
  • She bought different style of art I never seen before.
  • I got to see her work that she personally worked on. I also got to see her steps that she took to complete the art.
  • the hands on experience
  • The idea that Clay used all his tools of games to get every students involved, I really enjoyed that experience.
  • The most valuable part for me was actually discovering a side of me that I really didn’t know I had. Doing improve made me realize how much I enjoy it. It also made me feel extremely comfortable with speaking in front of my peers.
  • the most valuable part was that i could express my ideas without shame
  • I believe the most valuable part was being able to take a break from the standard way of learning but still learning at the same time.
  • Everyday we wake up serious especially going to college, but what I liked about the institutor Clay Drinko is that he taught us to loosing up. This allowed us to embrace our surroundings and our peers; taking off the pressure to do the activities.By not worrying about papers and shutting down the computers down it allowed us to challenge our inner child for a week. I loved every minute of it. This was one the highlights of Arts in New York City.
  • Getting to meet clay and him informing us about his life and what it takes to be a good improv actor/actress

Question 3: If you could add anything to your experience with the artist-in-residence to make the week more worthwhile, what would you add?

• I would add more time. If she could've came in for more classes and then in the end we could have done a huge project based on what she taught us. That would've been really cool and our collages would've been better prepared. (10 students replied wanting more time with the artist)
  • going to an actual art studio (3 students said this)
  • If I could I would like to see their artwork first hand (4 students said this)
  • I would like to have spoken to her personally/privately; a one on one.
  • I really enjoyed the experience the only thing I would do is make the improv class a permanent fixture in Guttman.
  • It would be great if you could have went to see a show with Clay but the week was still great.
  • More sessions with the artist.
  • Him bringing in a partner
  • I wish we could have went to a show or performance that was being held by improv actors.

Question 4: In conclusion, what did having an artist in your class for one week bring to your Arts in NYC class?

• It helped to validate the class by having an actual practicing NYC artist in the class. It made the class from more than just a discussion about the arts, into actually being a participant in the arts.
  • A sense of togetherness in a class of strangers
  • it brought more energy to the class because since we are usually always sitting down this time we were doing more interactive things.
  • Created a different lens, a different approach on how we look at art, therefore how we can look at ourselves
  • Having an artist in class for one week made the class more active, knowledgeable, and fun then it already was. We didn't just read about artists and observe their work, we got the chance to hear about a real artists and their point of view on what they do.
  • having and artist in my class for a week change my mind about what art is and how can anyone can become an artist.
  • It brings a reality to "art".
  • having an artist in our mist that week brought me more closer to art. I love the idea of taking a break from our regular writings and trying my hands on some arts was a great experience to me.
  • An unbelievable experience, we looked at art, then we met an artist. She is one of my new favorite artists. He technique is amazing. Her train of thought is magnificent
  • I got to see what we learned in class in real life. The steps artists take to make the work they do. I also learned new terms that we didn't learn in class.
  • It brought more life, we all became vibrant students.
  • Having an artist with us especially doing the activities with us; I think made us all a lot more comfortable with ourselves and interacting with each other. It was also cool to meet someone as established as Clay and seeing how patient and down to earth he was, even though he has accomplished so many things, it just made achieving as many successes as clay seem that much more possible.
  • Having an artist in our class for one week allowed each of us to open up and express ourselves individually. We were all able to share our ideas and see how each other chooses to interpret their thoughts.
  • It brought many laughs and helped release tension and made everything more comfortable.
  • It brought a burst of fun and excitement. Having this artist gave not only me but the whole class something to talk about besides papers and vocabulary. Arts in NYC was a enjoyable class and having the artist was just an added bonus.